Magewell Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2
Magewell Part Number: 11540 Four-channel 2K capture card
- Captures SD/HD/3G/2K SDI x 4 + embedded audio.
- High-speed interface with M.2 connector (PCIe Gen2) provides sufficient bandwidth for capturing multiple HD signals or one 4Kp30 signal.
- M.2 standard size of 22 x 80 mm (3.15 x 0.87 inch).
- Low Power Consumption. Power consumption 30%-70% lower (model-dependent) than standard Pro Capture cards with similar input(s).
- Multiple Replicated Capture Streams.
Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2: A Comprehensive Review
The Magewell Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2 is a cutting-edge capture card designed to meet the needs of small and embedded systems where full-sized PCIe slots are not available. This cost-effective solution from Magewell’s Eco Capture family offers OEM customers a robust capture solution with low power consumption, making it ideal for space-limited applications.
The Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2 features four SD/HD/3G/2K SDI input interfaces, allowing you to capture high-quality video from up to four sources simultaneously. The card supports input resolutions up to 2048×1080 pixels, ensuring exceptional image clarity and detail. The host interface is a compact M.2 slot with PCIe Gen2 x4 connectivity. Providing a reliable and efficient connection to your system.
Specifications & Features
The Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2 is equipped with a powerful video engine that automatically detects input signal formats and performs color format conversions. This ensures compatibility with a wide range of video sources and simplifies the capture process. The card also offers a low-latency mode, enabling real-time monitoring and streaming applications.
One of the standout features of the Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2 is its support for SG-DMA transmission mode. This mode allows for multiple replicated capture streams, making it possible to capture the same video feed for multiple applications simultaneously. Additionally, the card supports closed captioning, enabling the extraction of important textual information from the captured video stream.
To enhance the functionality of the Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2. Magewell provides a comprehensive suite of software tools. These include drivers and a software development kit (SDK) for Windows and Linux, allowing developers to easily integrate the card into their applications. The firmware of the card is also upgradable, ensuring compatibility with future software updates and feature enhancements.
Magewell’s Capture Express software is another powerful tool that accompanies the Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2. This intuitive software offers an easy-to-use interface for configuring and managing the capture card. It allows you to adjust settings such as resolution, frame rate, and color format, as well as perform real-time monitoring and recording.
The Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2 is also compatible with Magewell’s USB Fusion App, Control Hub, Capture Express, USB Capture Utility, Plugin for Premiere®, Magewell Bridge for NDI®, and Ultra Stream App. These software applications provide additional functionality and flexibility, allowing you to customize your capture workflow and integrate seamlessly with other Magewell products.
Magewell offers a range of accessories to complement the Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2 and enhance its usability. The Mini Repeater HDMI 4K is a compact device that extends the HDMI signal transmission distance, making it perfect for setups where long cable runs are required. Additionally, the 1RU Rackmount Shelf & Mounting Kits provide a convenient and organized way to mount multiple Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2 cards in a standard rack.
Magewell is committed to providing excellent support for their products, and the Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2 is no exception. The Knowledge Base is a valuable resource that offers comprehensive documentation and troubleshooting guides to help you get the most out of your capture card.
The Magewell Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2 is a feature-rich capture card that offers a cost-effective and low-power solution for space-limited applications. With its four-channel SDI input interface, powerful video engine, and comprehensive software support, it provides a versatile and reliable solution for capturing high-quality video. Whether you’re a developer looking to integrate the card into your application or a content creator in need of a robust capture solution, the Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2 is an excellent choice.
Remember, the Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2 is just one of many exceptional products in Magewell’s extensive lineup. Be sure to explore their Pro Capture, USB Capture, USB Fusion, Ultra Stream, and Pro Convert series to find the perfect solution for your specific needs. With Magewell, you can trust that you’re getting top-quality products backed by exceptional support and innovation.
|Interface||Video Engine||Signal Detection & Support||Software Environment||Others|
• SD/HD/3G/2K SDI x4
• Support input resolution up to 2048×1080 pixels
• M.2(PCIe Gen2 x4))
|10-bit video processing|
Color Space Conversion
Aspect Ratio Conversion
SG-DMA Transmission mode
|Auto Detection of Input Signal Format|
• Windows, Linux, Mac
Driver and Firmware
• Universal Driver, Updatable Firmware
• Pro Capture Utility, Capture Express
|Low Power Consumption
Multiple Replicated Capture Streams
Low Latency Mode
Multiple Devices on One Host
Continuously Work for 24hx7
LED Status Indicator
Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2 Specifications
- Windows 7/8/8.1/10/Server 2008/Server 2008 R2/Server 2012/Server 2016 (x86 & x64)
- Linux (support x86, x64 & ARM architecture)
- Ubuntu 12.04/14.04/16.04/17.04/17.10/18.04 (x86 & x64)
- CentOS 6.5/7 (x86 & x64)
- Fedora 25/26/27 (x86 & x64)
- Red hat 6.5 and above (x86 & x64)
- Other Linux OS with kernel version 2.6.35 and above
Recommended OS (tested)
- Windows 7 Ultimate/8.1 Enterprise/10 Enterprise/Server 2008 R2 DataCenter/Server 2012 R2 DataCenter/Server 2016 R2 DataCenter (x86 & x64)
- Ubuntu 12.04/14.04/16.04 (x86 & x64)
- Ubuntu 17.04/17.10/18.04 (x64)
- CentOS 6.5/7.2 (x86 & x64)
- Fedora 25/26 (x64)
- Red hat 6.5 (x86 & x64)
- Wave API/DirectSound/WASAPI
- Microsoft Media Encoder
- Adobe Flash Media Encoder
- Any other DirectShow/V4L2 encoding/streaming software
- 4x MMCX
- SD/HD/3G/2K SDI
- M.2 2280 Type M (PCIe Gen2 x4)
- Support for input video resolutions up to 2048×1080 pixels
SDI Specific Features
- Integrated cable equalizer extending the cable length as follows:
- up to 330m for SD-SDI signals
- up to 190m for HD-SDI signals
- up to 150m for 3G-SDI signals
- Support for SD/HD/3Ga/3Gb/3Gb-DL/3Gb-DS standards
- Support for 2K (2048×1080) mode
- Support for RGB 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2 color sampling
- Support for 10/12-bit color depth
- Support for extraction of SMPTE 352 payload identifier
- Support for up to 8 (mono) audio channels at 48KHz
- Support for extraction of audio formation information & channel status data
- Limited support of 3Gb-DS: only the first stream can be captured
- Limited support for capture of the first link of dual link interfaces:
- YCbCr 4:2:2 10-bit 1080p 50/59.94/60: captured as 1080i 50/59.94/60
- YCbCr 4:4:4 10-bit: captured as 4:2:2
- RGB 4:4:4: R/B sub-sampled
- Support for Closed Caption via SDK
Video Capture Formats
- Support for capture image resolutions up to 2048×1080 pixels
- Support for capture frame rates up to 144fps (Actual capture frame rate can be limited by PCIe bandwidth. For the resolution of 1280×1024 and higher, the actual frame rate may be limited by the onboard video processing hardware pixel clock. For example, the maximum frame rate of 1920×1080 resolution can up to 80fps.)
- Support for 4:2:0 8-bit capture formats: NV12, I420, YV12
- Support for 4:2:2 8-bit capture formats: YUY2, YUYV, UYVY
- Support for 4:4:4 8-bit capture formats: V308, IYU2, V408, BGR24, BGR32
- More capture formats are supported via SDK
Video Processing Features
- Video processing pipelines with ~180Mpixels/s processing bandwidth
- 10-bit 4:4:4 video processing
- Video scaling
- Video de-interlacing
- Blend top & bottom field
- Video color format conversion
- Auto or manual selection of input color format & quantization range
- Auto or manual selection of capture color format, quantization range & saturation range
- Support for RGB, YCbCr 601, YCbCr 709, YCbCr 2020 color formats
- Support for Limited or Full quantization range
- Support for Limited, Full & ‘Extended gamut’ saturation range
- Video frame rate conversion
Multiple Cards per System
- Support for multiple cards plugged to one system
- On-board dip switch to set card number with 16 positions
- System hardware device tree will display “01: Eco Capture Quad SDI M.2” when dip switch is set to 0001, and so on
- The video and audio device names displayed in your software will include the card number (set by the dip switch)
Multiple Replicated Capture Streams
- Unlimited capture streams for any one input channel, but the capture streams should be in the same capture format.
Timestamp & A/V Synchronization
- Hardware based 100ns high resolution clock
- Audio frames (192 audio samples) & video frames are stamped with hardware clock
- Hardware clock can be synchronized across cards (via SDK)
Video Capture SG-DMA
- ~400MB/s per channel DMA bandwidth in PCIe 2.x system
- ~200MB/s per channel DMA bandwidth in PCIe 1.x system
- Support for auto detection of Intel tiled GPU surface
- Support for DirectGMA for AMD video adapter chipsets
- Support for GPUDirect for Nvidia video adapter chipsets
- Magewell Capture SDK for DirectShow (Windows) or V4L2 (Linux) for easy integration
- Magewell Capture SDK for DirectKS (Windows) or ioctl (Linux) for maximum flexibility & performance
Windows Driver Tweaks
- All options can be controlled by three levels of registry key: global level, product level and device level
- Video, Audio, Crossbar filter names can be customized via registry keys
- Multiple cards in one system can be upgraded simultaneously
- Cards can be upgraded without a system power shutdown (In most cases, even a reboot is not needed)
- Safe upgrade. If power off or system break down occur when the firmware is being upgraded, it will automatically restore to the initial version.
- Status LEDs indicate the working state of each channel:
- Pulsing slowly: idle
- On: input signal locked
- Off: input signal unlocked
- Double blinks: memory failed or FPGA configuration failed
- M.2 2280 standard size
- 4 X MMCX to BNC cables
- Max current at 3.3V: ~ 2.17 A
- Max power consumption: ~ 7.16 W
- Operating temperature: 0 to 40 deg C
- Storage temperature: –20 to 70 deg C
- Relative Humidity: 5% to 90% non-condensing